Some more progress with this piece. I’ve decided to title it ” My Roses by John William Waterhouse” because I am doing a master-copy of that painting as the bookcover image. I knew I would do a master-copy for the book-cover before starting this composition, but I was undecided on which one. John William Waterhouse has always been one of my favorite painters , I am happy to be doing a master copy of his work and hopefully learning much from this experience.
Since the last process blog, I’ve added the dried up roses, then some leaves scattered around the composition, then finally the bookcover image-master copy of My Roses.
I am still not finished with the master-copy. Much more refining to do on it.
Today I painted in the eyeglasses to this still life painting. I initially was going to paint in the roses, but the more I observe, the more less appealing the roses seemed, as I was using artificial roses. I did not feel like going out to pick up real roses, so settled on the eyeglasses.
I started the lay-in using monochrome as usual, with burnt umber. Then colorized it afterwards.
Still can use bit more refinements but I’ll sleep on it for now. -HK Park
I got to work more on this still life painting today. I started painting in the colors, then poured some tea in the cup and painted that in as well.
I used mostly the small sable brush. Since I had the underpainting down pretty solidly from the previous session, things went pretty smoothly without much difficulties.
I think I am done with the teacup/saucer for now. Will paint the flower the next sitting.
Today I started a still life painting.
I began laying in the placement of the elements using burnt umber and number 4 filbert brush. I am using a canvas surface larger than I need, so I can crop the composition later on, instead of trying to compose within definite dimensions. I prefer to draw with values using broad strokes filling in the shades as I go, instead of drawing with lines. I decided to do a grisailles before moving on with colors as this is a safe approach-to establish solidly everything but colors, then colorize it afterwards. It would be much more difficult at this stage if I were to worry about colors too.. I started by defining the teacup and saucer only. I plan to finish each elements one by one instead of working everything in the painting as a whole.
To be continued..